A Digital Newsletter from BCLNA
Do you know someone that would like to receive the Japanese Beetle email updates? Have them SIGN UP here.

2022 Weekly Updates

Japanese beetle information is available in different languages:

DGH JB 2018 (1)

Reminder: Help Prevent the Spread of Japanese Beetle

Japanese beetle is flying. It is imperative landscapers and garden centres working within or near the regulated areas follow movement control guidelines and best practices.

The spread of the Japanese beetle (Popollia japonica) through southwestern BC presents a high threat with costly economic damage to agriculture, nursery production, and urban landscapes. Larvae feed on the roots of turfgrass, and adult beetles feed on 300+ species of plant material. The establishment of Japanese beetle in BC could lead to large economic loss, increased prices of production, further shortages of plant availability, and increased costs to homeowners.

Do your part and help prevent the spread!

Landscapers are reminded to follow all movement control guidelines and best management practices. This includes ordering required movement certificates, using the appropriate disposal station, and implementing best practices such as cleaning tools and equipment before leaving the site and tarping your loads.

Garden centres located in the regulated areas are strongly encouraged to contact CFIA to discuss the options for retailers.

For more information, visit the Japanese beetle industry pages for Landscapers and Garden Centres.

Not sure if you are in the regulated are? Consult CFIA’s new interactive map!
Japanese Beetle Landscape Technical Session FF Banner (2)

Japanese Beetle Retailer Technical Session: Postponed

This session is postponed until further notice. Watch the Japanese Beetle Update for a new date and time!

Japanese Beetle Traps

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is conducting enhanced trapping across Metro Vancouver as part of the coordinated response to eradicate Japanese beetle (Popillia japonica) from Vancouver.
The traps are used to track when and where the beetles are found and if they are spreading. The data collected provides valuable information which is vital to the eradication efforts. It is extremely important that these traps are left alone. Please do not touch them!
  1. Please leave the traps alone!!! Do not touch, move or tamper with the traps. Traps are checked regularly by CFIA staff.
  2. Report any knocked down or vandalized traps! Send an email to [email protected] and include the location and a picture of the trap or call 604-292-5742.
  3. Report any suspect Japanese beetles to the CFIA! Send an email to [email protected] and include the location and a picture, if possible, or call 604-292-5742.
*NEW* JB Interactive Map – Type in your postal code or street address to identify whether you are in a JB regulated area.
New guidelines for retailers who sell plants in the Japanese beetle-regulated areas within the Cities of Vancouver and Burnaby are in effect. Join us to learn what movement control options are available to you, and how your business may be impacted.

Garden centres, nurseries and plant retailers play a critical role in preventing the spread of Japanese beetle in BC and protecting our horticulture and agriculture sectors.

During this session, Plant Program Officers from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) will provide information on the following:

  • An overview of Japanese beetle biology and its distribution in BC
  • CFIA movement controls to prevent the spread of Japanese beetles
  • Movement control options for plant retailers in a regulated area
  • Q&A session
    To find out if you are in a Japanese beetle regulated area, visit: Japanese beetle regulated areas in British Columbia - Canadian Food Inspection Agency (canada.ca)

    You think you found a Japanese beetle, now what?

    CFIA has developed new resources for reporting suspect Japanese beetle (Popillia japonica) and/or Japanese beetle feeding damage. Consider the following when submitting suspect beetles to the CFIA for identification:
    • Follow CFIA’s guidelines for submitting photographs of suspect Japanese beetle
    • Collecting a suspect Japanese beetle: place the suspect in a hard-sided, sealable container and place in a fridge, if possible. Contact CFIA as soon as possible
    • Review the identifying features of adult Japanese beetle: a metallic green head and thorax with copper-brown wing coverings and white tufts along the abdomen are key features of JB
    • Look for feeding damage: Lacy, skeletonized feeding on leaves and/or irregularly chewed portions of flowers
    • Don’t be fooled by Japanese beetle look-a-likes!

    Report all suspect beetles to the CFIA: 604-292-5742 or [email protected].

    Suspect beetles can also be reported to the Invasive Species Council of BC (be sure to still report your findings to CFIA!).
    Japanese Beetle

    Movement Certificates: What are they and when one is required

    A CFIA-issued movement certificate is required to move regulated articles outside of a Japanese beetle regulated area. Not sure if you are in a regulated area? Consult CFIA’s interactive map! Regulated articles include:
    • Plants with soil attached - regulated year round
    • Soil - regulated year round
    • Plants and plant parts with no soil attached (above ground plant parts) are restricted between June 15 and October 15
    When do I need to get a CFIA-issued movement certificate?
    • Moving green waste out of the Vancouver Japanese beetle regulated area to the South Vancouver Transfer Station between June 15 and October 15
    • Moving green waste out of the Burnaby Japanese beetle regulated area to the Burnaby Eco Centre between June 15 and October 15
    • Moving soil out of the Vancouver or Burnaby regulated areas any time of the year
    JB Movement Map
    How do I apply for a CFIA-issued movement certificate?
    Is there a fee for a movement certificate?
    No, there is no fee to issue a movement certificate for Japanese beetle regulated articles

    Multi-Use Movement Certificates - See Section 5.4 of CFIA’s Movement Guidance document
    You may be eligible for an annual multi-use movement certificate if you live or work in a regulated area, or manage multiple worksites situated within a regulated area, AND need to regularly or frequently transport regulated articles to a location outside of the same regulated area. Please contact the CFIA prior to beginning work; needs will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

    I run a garden centre in a regulated area. Do customers require a movement certificate if they are taking plants to their home outside of the regulated area?

    The CFIA has implemented multiple options for garden centres located in the Japanese beetle regulated areas. For more information, read this notice to garden centres.
    For more information on movement certificates, contact the CFIA: [email protected] or call 604-292-5742

    Important reminder to keep a lookout for Japanese beetle!

    June 15th marked the beginning of flight season, and Japanese beetle may now be flying. Adult beetles will begin to feed on the foliage and fruit of many different plants. Common host plants include roses, fruit trees, woody and herbaceous ornamentals, and shade trees. It is very important to be on the lookout and report any suspect beetles.
    What to look for:
    • Beetles will start feeding at the top of the plant most exposed to sunlight, and work its way down the plant
    • Chewing on the tissue between the leaves results in Skeletonized leaves
    • Declining health of plants
    Be sure to report any suspect Japanese beetles to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) via email or call
    Image of feeding damage in David Lam Park, courtesy of ISCBC.

    Japanese Beetle Treatment: who, where, what,

    when and why

    Who oversees treatment?
    The treatment of public and private lands for Japanese beetle (Popilla japonica) is coordinated by the Ministry of Agriculture and Food (MAF). Municipalities coordinate the treatment of public lands (city parks, boulevards, etc.) and the treatment of private lands (private yards, strata common areas, etc.) is coordinated by municipalities, licenced landscape applicators, and MAF.

    What is used for treatment?
    The treatment response for 2022 will consist of a single larvicide treatment (Acelepryn) of turfgrass on public and private lands. Acelpryn is registered by Health Canada for use as a larvicide to target grubs.

    Four applications of a biological insecticide, BeetleGONE! (Bacillus thuringienses subsp. Galleriae or Btg) will be applied to landscape beds as a foliar application in areas with adult beetles. Btg is a naturally occurring soil bacterium that is toxic to the beetles in the Scarab family when ingested

    Where will treatment occur?
    Treatment of public and private lands will occur in designated ‘treatment zones’ in the cities of Vancouver, Burnaby, and Coquitlam. Acelepryn is applied to turfgrass of private and public lands, and BeetleGONE! is applied as a foliar spray to landscape beds.
    Japanese beetle grub - Jeff Hahn U of Minnesota extension permission granted
    When does treatment happen?
    A single application of Acelepryn is applied in spring to early summer while the beetles are still grubs feeding on the roots of turfgrass.

    BeetleGONE! will be applied in four or five applications throughout the Japanese beetle flight period, when adult beetles will likely be feeding on the foliage of plants.

    Why are these products used?
    Both Acelepyrn and Btg are effective in managing Japanese beetle. Both products are registered products with Health Canada and have a favorable health and environmental profile. These products do not impact people, pets, mammals, birds, bees, butterflies, or other animals. Japanese beetle is a new invasive pest found in BC for the first time in 2017 and is a significant threat to parks, lawns, natural areas, and agriculture in BC.

    Acelepryn Factsheet
    BeetleGone! Factsheet

    Landscapers that have clients in the 2022 treatment zones that require treatment for Japanese beetle: contact the BCLNA or MAF: 778-666-0519 to make arrangements for treatment.

    Letter to Private Landowners: Vancouver

    Letter to Private Landowners: Burnaby

    Letter to Private Landowners: Port Coquitlam

    Best Management Practices for Landscapers

    Working in or near the Japanese beetle regulated areas? Follow these best management practices to prevent the spread of Japanese beetle!
    Leave it local whenever possible!

    • Don’t move soil, plants and green waste outside of the regulated area, unless you have a CFIA-issued Movement Certificate!
    • Follow all movement restrictions when working in the regulated area.
    • Use local municipal green bins to dispose of plant material that cannot be stored on-site
    Shake it before you take it!
    • If you need to move plant or pruning waste off-site, shake it before loading it onto your vehicle for disposal.
    Tarp your load properly to prevent beetles from flying out!
    • Watch this video from the Invasive Species Council of BC (ISCBC) for tips.
    Thoroughly clean gardening and lawn care equipment regularly
    • Clean soil from all equipment and tools, including lawn mowers, aerating and power raking equipment, especially if you intend to use these items at another location or job site.
    Check your clothing, equipment, and vehicles for hitchhiker beetles!
    • Japanese beetles can even hitch a ride on your work boots!
    Know before you go!
      • Understand the legal requirements and get a CFIA-issued movement certificate in advance!
      • Take the most direct route to the nearest approved transfer station.
      • Keep a map of the regulated areas in all crew trucks for easy reference.
      • Ensure your stops are within transfer station hours.
      • Consolidate loads when inside the regulated area to reduce the number of trips required.
      • Some fees may apply. Have an accepted payment method ready.

    Using the Burnaby Eco Centre and Vancouver South Transfer Station – What you need to know for your visits

    Visiting the Burnaby Eco Centre

    Regulated articles leaving the Burnaby regulated area MUST go to the Burnaby Eco Centre.
    • 4855 Still Creek Drive, Burnaby
    • Hours:
      • Monday – Sunday: 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
      • Restricted commercial hours (will only accept green waste from landscapers during these hours):
        • 9:00 AM – 10:30 AM & 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
      • This is a scaled facility; Green Waste Rate $100/tonne
      • Pay with cash, credit & debit
    When you arrive, the scale attendent will ask for a copy of your Movement Certificate. If you don’t have one, they accept the material one time and will provide you with information on how to obtain a movement certificate. The scale attendant will then direct you through the facility. Be sure to follw all signage at the Eco Centre.
    Image courtesy of City of Burnaby

    Visiting the South Vancouver Transfer Station

    Regulated articles leaving the Vancouver regulated area MUST go to the Vancouver South Transter Station.
    • 377 West Kent Ave North, Vancouver
    • Hours:
      • Monday – Friday 5:30 AM – 7:00 PM
      • Saturday & Sunday: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
      • Closed Christmas Day & New Year’s Day
      • All other statutory holidays, unless otherwise noted: 6:00 AM – 4:00 PM
    • This is a scaled facility: $90/tonne, minimum fee of $10 (up to 110 kg)
    • Payment accepted: Cash, debit, credit, cheque, or bill to your existing commercial account
    • Specify that you have green waste from the Japanese beetle regulated area when you arrive. Follow all signage and directions from site attendants.

    Notice To Retailers!

    The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) will be circulating a letter to retailers situated within a Japanese beetle-regulated area. Not sure if you are located in a regulated area? Review the map below.
    New guidelines accompany expanding the regulated area in Vancouver and creating a new regulated area in Burnaby and may impact how you conduct business.
    Under the new guidelines which are currently being updated and will be posted on the CFIA’s website soon, retailers within a regulated area, who wish to sell potted plants (with soil or growing media) to customers who may be taking the plants outside of a regulated area, must operate under one of the following four options listed on the letter titled “Options for Retailers situated in a Japanese beetle regulated area who intend to sell plants to customers that may remove them from a Japanese beetle regulated area” to reduce the risk of spreading Japanese beetle.
    Map of Japanese beetle Regulated Areas in BC as of March 19 2022 (002)

    It’s Flight Season!

    June 15th is the first day of the Japanese beetle flight season.

    Movement controls are now in effect. Movement of plants and plant parts with no soil attached (above-ground plant parts) out of a Japanese beetle regulated area is now restricted.

    A movement certificate is required to move regulated articles outside of the regulated areas. This includes moving regulated items to an approved transfer station.
    Table extracted from 4.0, Movement Requirements for regulated articles leaving the regulated area, CFIA’s Guidance for the movement of plants, plant parts and soil leaving a Japanese beetle regulated area located within BC

    Important Changes for 2022 | Temporary Transfer Station at False Creek is Closed

    The Temporary Transfer Station (TTS), which accepted small amounts of plant material from the False Creek regulated area in previous years, will not open in 2022.

    TTS does not have the capacity to handle larger volumes of plant material coming from the expanded regulated area. Instead, all regulated plant material being moved out of
    Vancouver’s regulated area must be taken to the Vancouver South Transfer Station at 377 West Kent Ave North.

    Please note, the North Shore Recycling and Waste Centre does not accept regulated plant material from the Japanese beetle regulated areas.

    The Vancouver South Transfer Station is open 7 days per week. For information about
    hours, fees, location, and payment options, visit the Vancouver Transfer Station website.

    Read the full notice from the City of Vancouver

    For commercial landscapers working in the regulated area:

    • Keep soil and plant material on-site if possible
    • Use the customer’s green bin for any yard trimmings
    • If you must move plant materials outside the regulated area:
      • Remove loose soil
      • CFIA requires a movement certificate. Contact the CFIA directly to apply for a movement certificate:
      • Cover and secure your load
      • Transport plant material directly to the Vancouver South Transfer Station on Kent Ave
      • Present your movement certificate to the weigh scale operator
    For more information visit:

    CFIA’s movement controls, inspection.canada.ca/jb or call 604-292-5742.
    City of Vancouver’s response to Japanese beetle, visit vancouver.ca/japanesebeetle
    BCLNA's Japanese beetle information for the landscape industry

    Missed the Japanese Beetle Technical Session?

    This session included critical updates on changes to the 2022 eradication program; all professional horticulturists working within or around the regulated areas are strongly encouraged to review this information.

    Japanese Beetle Movement Controls

    What you need to know about moving green waste out of the regulated areas

    In response to the revised regulated areas in Vancouver and Burnaby, CFIA is restricting the movement of soil, rooted plants with soil, and other plant material that is infested or likely to be infested with Japanese beetle out of the regulated areas.

    Movement of plants and plant parts with no soil attached (above-ground plant parts) out of a Japanese beetle regulated area is restricted between June 15 and October 15. These dates align with the emergence of maturing beetles from turf and Japanese beetle flight season.

    Soil from the within the Japanese beetle regulated areas is restricted year-round.

    A movement certificate is required to move regulated articles outside of the regulated areas.

    For more information on Japanese beetle movement controls, visit the CFIA website.
    JB Movement Map

    Questions? Contact CFIA: [email protected] or 604-292-5742

    **Expanded Regulated Area for Japanese Beetle**

    The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has expanded the geographic boundary of the existing Japanese beetle regulated area within the City of Vancouver, and created a new Japanese beetle regulated area within the City of Burnaby.

    The regulated area was expanded due to the detections of Japanese beetle in Burnaby, Port Coquitlam, and various areas in South Vancouver. The BC Plant Protection Advisory Committee (BCPPAC) recommended the expansion due to these detections, and a new Japanese Beetle Ministerial Order was signed on March 19, 2022.

    Map of updated regulated area

    The expansion allows for the movement of regulated articles only within these regulated areas without certification to prevent the spread of Japanese beetle into pest-free, unregulated areas. Movement of regulated articles outside of the regulated area are restricted and will require a movement certificate issued by the CFIA.

    Read the full bulletin for details on movement restrictions, movement certificates, and disposal options.

    These changes may have significant impact on horticulture businesses operating within and around the regulated areas. The BCLNA and partners of the JB eradication program will continue to provide information and resources for landscape professionals.

    A Technical Session is being coordinated to provide more details and answer questions from industry; date and details will be announced shortly.

    Questions? Contact CFIA: [email protected] or 604-292-5742

    Contacts and Resources

    Professional Landscaper Technical Information:
    BCLNA at 604-901-3301 or [email protected]

    [email protected]
    CFIA at 1-800-442-2342 or
    [email protected]

    Eradication Effort:
    BC Invasive Species Council at 1-888-933-3722 or
    the BC Ministry of Agriculture at 604-556-3001

    Regulated Area & Movement Restrictions:
    CFIA at 1-800-442-2342

    Movement Certificate:
    CFIA at 604-292-5742 or [email protected]

    Tracy Hueppelsheuser with the BC Ministry of Agriculture at
    [email protected]

    General Coordination and Outreach:
    Contact the ISCBC at 1-888-933-3722