**Expanded Regulated Area for Japanese Beetle**

This bulletin contains important information regarding the Japanese beetle (Popillia japonica) eradication program and is of interest to landscaping professionals operating in the Vancouver and Burnaby regions.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has expanded the geographic boundary of the existing Japanese beetle regulated area within the City of Vancouver, and created a new Japanese beetle regulated area within the City of Burnaby.

Map of updated areas

The regulated area was expanded due to the detections of Japanese beetle in Burnaby, Port Coquitlam, and various areas in South Vancouver. The BC Plant Protection Advisory Committee (BCPPAC) recommended the expansion due to these detections, and a new Japanese Beetle Ministerial Order was signed on March 19, 2022.

The expansion allows for the movement of regulated articles only within these regulated areas without certification to prevent the spread of Japanese beetle into pest-free, unregulated areas. Movement of regulated articles outside of the regulated area are restricted and will require a movement certificate issued by the CFIA.

Transfer Stations/Disposal of Regulated Articles

Regulated articles include:

  • soil (of any depth), year round
  • plants with soil, year-round; and
  • plants and above-ground parts that are substantially free from soil, during the Japanese beetle flight period which takes place from June 15 to October 15 each year
Locations accepting green waste from the Japanese beetle regulated areas:

Vancouver South Transfer Station
Burnaby Eco Centre

A CFIA-issued movement certificate is required to move all regulated articles listed above outside of a regulated area; this includes to one of the designated transfer stations listed above. A multi-use or 'blanket' movement certificate can be issued to landscapers frequently working or that live within the regulated area. Please note, the Northshore Transfer Station DOES NOT accept green waste or regulated articles from the Japanese beetle regulated areas.

Soil is regulated year-round and will require a CFIA-issued movement certificate to move outside of the regulated area.

Apply for a movement certificate

Contact the CFIA: Email or call 604-292-5742

These changes may have significant impact on some landscape businesses. The BCLNA and partners of the JB eradication program will continue to provide information and resources for landscapers.

A Landscaper Technical Session is being coordinated to provide more details and answer questions from industry; date and details will be announced shortly.

Stay informed on Japanese beetle; sign up for the Japanese Beetle Update.

To Learn more, please visit:
  • Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA):
English: https://inspection.canada.ca/jb | French: https://inspection.canada.ca/sj
facebook twitter instagram