BC Flood Response Resources & Updates

BC has declared a State of Emergency.

BCLNA is working for you, to provide you with quick access to programs and current information.
With new information and government missals being released on an hourly basis, BCLNA will be updating members as this situation progresses. In this e-newsletter, you will find links to both industry and community resources, funding programs and communications from allied organizations.

The BCLNA has created the BC & Fraser Valley Flood Response webpage to assist members with finding timely information on the flood situation. Information and resources will continue to be added to this page as it develops. If your business has been impacted by the extreme weather event or flooding, please contact Fanny St Hilaire.
Visit EmergencyInfoBC for the latest updates, including information for flood evacuees, Disaster Financial Assistance, and road advisories. The City of Abbotsford updates current Evacuation Orders and emergency updates here.

US In-Transit Shipping for Agricultural Products In and Out of BC

Anyone experiencing issues shipping agricultural products (which includes nursery stock and Christmas trees) into or out of BC, Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) have implemented some interim measures for transit through the US. Please read the CBSA Communique and US CBP Bulletin for the full measures. Here are a few high points:
  • Carriers that regularly travel between Canada and the United States (U.S.), should follow the standard procedures in order to facilitate and reduce delays in border crossings.
  • The interim measures are designed to be utilized by Canadian domestic truck carriers that don’t normally cross the border in the normal course of their business as well as providing some guidance to international carriers carrying Canadian domestic shipments during the duration of these procedures (e.g. Canadian domestic truck carriers that do not have electronic manifesting capabilities or ability to file as a bonded carrier).
  • All equipment, trailers, and containers moving under these procedures must be sealed at or before arrival at the U.S. border. These seals should be clearly identified to CBP and CBSA for verification and inspection as necessary.
  • U.S.D.A. In-Transit Permits: Most in-transit plant and animal permits issued prior to movement, will not be required for shipments utilizing these temporary procedures. CBP Agriculture Specialists at the port of arrival in the U.S. will make a risk-based determination on any additional measures needed to safeguard these shipments.
Areas of operations will be limited to a few initial ports. Please refer to the linked communication above for the list and contact information of these ports.

If you are using these protocols and run into any issues navigating the procedures or at the border crossings themselves, please contact Jamie Aalbers, CNLA Growers Manager, at [email protected] or 647-724-8630.

Donations for Migrant Workers

Many migrant workers have been evacuated and lost their Canadian possessions in the floods. Farms and nurseries have volunteered to house these workers until they can return home or back to their place of work. Two donation funds have been developed to assist migrant workers replace their belongings and help them with their needs:

Sumas Prairie Migrant Workers in BC gofundme.

Charis Camp is a camp located in Chilliwack that is temporarily housing migrant workers. They are collecting donations here.

CNLA Steps Up to Assist Impacted Businesses

CNLA has offered to assist BCLNA with assessing the impact to to the BC landscape horticulture industry in the flood zones across the province. CNLA staff will be making phone calls to check in and ask a series of questions regarding potential losses you and your business may have experienced. This information will be used to request government funding and assistance.

BCLNA and CNLA will also be meeting frequently to discuss government communications and how we can best serve the BC landscape horticulture industry during this difficult time. These efforts are not exclusive to members only. If you have peers that are not members that have suffered losses, please send their contact info to Fanny.

Fuel Restrictions - Agriculture Essential Vehicles

From the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries

Until November 30, 2021, B.C. is prioritizing fuel for essential vehicles in impacted areas of the province. This is a temporary measure brought in by a new order under the Emergency Program to make sure we have a steady supply of fuel for the services and goods people depend on after the recent catastrophic weather events. Essential vehicles will not have a fuel limit.

Continue reading here for regions under the fuel restriction and a list of essential vehicles.

If you have questions or require assistance please call or email AgriServiceBC: 1-888-221-7141 at [email protected].

For more information, see Travel and fuel restrictions - Province of British Columbia

Housing Needed for Displaced Seasonal Agriculture Worker Program (SAWP) Workers

Over the weekend, about 200 TFWs (150 SAWP and 50 AgStream) stayed in emergency evacuation centers because their housing was flooded. All workers are safe. It is apparent that some workers will not be able to return to their housing. As such, WALI is looking for farms with SAWP housing on the Abbotsford and Chilliwack sides of the flood until long term solutions are found.
WALI is also helping workers to replace lost personal belongings in the flood.

Further details for assisting SAWP workers with replacements will be provided in the next few days.

Please contact Reg Ens if you have space and are willing to assist.
BCLNA is working with various government departments on your behalf to secure funding and relief programs. Developments will continue to be communicated.

BC Flooding Evacuees to get Additional Financial Support

The Province has partnered with the Canadian Red Cross to provide additional financial assistance to meet the immediate needs of those evacuated due to the floods. Those whose primary residences have been placed on evacuation orders due to the flooding may be eligible for $2,000. The application and more information can be found here.

Disaster Financial Assistance

The Government of BC has released Disaster Financial Assistance (DFA) to eligible individuals, small businesses, farms and charitable organizations. Up to 80% of damage exceeding $1,000 can be claimed to a maximum of $300,000. Click here for the eligibility requirements and application process.

AgriStability (Growers)

All growers are encouraged to apply immediately for the AgriStability Program. Applications made to the program can be retroactive. Funding opportunities through the Advance Payment Program can not be utilized unless you are enrolled in AgriStability. Interim payments may be available to those experiencing losses. For more information, please contact [email protected] or 1-877-343-2767.

Many organizations are compiling resources and useful information for those impacted by the floods.
It is important to take care of yourself so you can help others. Many organizations are offering mental health resources available for businesses, individuals and farmers.

Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries has an extensive list of mental health resources available.

Health Emergency Management is offering temporary telephone services for anyone who requires a support call.

AgSafeBC has a list of regional contacts and resources for mental wellness here.

Hedy Dyck, Chief Operating Officer
[email protected]

Virpi Kangas, Deputy Chief Operating Officer
[email protected]

Fanny St. Hilaire, Commodity Coordinator
[email protected]
Jayde Reuser, Social Media Coordinator
[email protected]

Tyson Kidd, Events, Member Services & Sponsorship
[email protected]

Helen Petre, Accounting
[email protected]
facebook twitter instagram