This page contains important information on the 2022-2023 eradication response, including critical updates to the regulated area in Vancouver.

Stay current with Japanese beetle – sign up for the weekly Japanese Beetle update!

Missed the 2022 Japanese Beetle Landscape Technical Session?


This session includes critical updates on changes to the 2022 eradication program including movement controls, treatment, and disposal of regulated materials. All professional horticulturists working within or around the regulated areas are strongly encouraged to review this information.

Have you spotted a Japanese beetle?

If you think you have spotted a suspect Japanese beetle (Popilla japonica) or Japanese beetle feeding damage, report your findings to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency! Call 604-292-5742 or email [email protected]

For more information on reporting sightings of Japanese beetle, or what to look for, visit CFIA’s website.

Garden Centres In or Near the Regulated Areas

Visit Japanese Beetle Information for Garden Centres for important information on how  retailers can help stop the spread.


Japanese beetle (Popilla japonica) is an invasive, regulated pest under the Plant Protection Act, which feeds on the roots of turf grass and the foliage of more than 300 plant species. This pest could cause serious harm to BC’s agricultural sector and ecosystem, and could cause significant damage to food crops, lawns, landscapers, golf courses, gardens and parks.

Japanese beetle was first detected in the False Creek area of Vancouver in July 2017. Since the initial detection, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has participated in a multi-partner eradication response to limit the spread of the pest into other parts of BC, to successfully eradicate its presence, and to maintain BC’s pest-free regulatory status. The response partners include:

  • BC Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries
  • City of Vancouver
  • Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation
  • Invasive Species Council of British Columbia (ISCBC)
  • British Columbia Landscape and Nursery Association (BCLNA)
  • Metro Vancouver Regional District (MVRD)
  • Other industry organizations and associations

The eradication response is entering Year Five for 2022-2023. Year Four survey detections resulted in a 64% reduction of Japanese beetles from Year Three. The overall number of beetles continues to decrease, however, 50 of the 79 beetles were detected outside of the designated Regulated Area. In response to these detections, the CFIA, with support from the above partners, has expanded the Regulated area within Vancouver and within the City of Burnaby.

CFIA Pest Factsheet

2021 BC Japanese beetle survey report


NEW Regulated Area

A revised regulated area came into effect on March 19, 2022 and includes areas within the Cities of Burnaby and Vancouver.

This expansion is in response to the detections of Japanese beetle found outside of the regulated area in Vancouver and Burnaby and was made at the recommendation of the British Columbia Plant Protection Advisory Council (BCPPAC).


CFIA’s Notice to Industry NEW regulated area

Map of regulated areas

Interactive Map– type in your postal code or street address to identify whether you are in a Japanese beetle regulated area.


Movement Restrictions

The CFIA is restricting the movement of soil, rooted plants with soil, and other plant material that is infested or likely to be infested with Japanese beetle out of the regulated areas. These restrictions are intended to reduce the risk of unintentional human-assisted spread of the beetle.

Until further notice, the following restrictions are in effect:

  • The movement of plants with soil attached out of a Japanese beetle regulated area is restricted year-round.
  • The movement of soil out of a Japanese beetle regulated area is restricted year-round.
  • The movement of plants and plant parts with no soil attached (above-ground plant parts) out of a Japanese beetle regulated area is restricted between June 15 and October 15, to coincide with the emergence of maturing beetles from turf, and adult Japanese beetle flying season.


 A CFIA-issued movement certificate is required to move all the regulated articles listed above outside of a regulated area.

Soil is regulated year-round and will require a CFIA-issued movement certificate to move outside of the regulated area.

CFIA Guidance for the movement of plants, plant parts and soil leaving a Japanese beetle-regulated area located within British Columbia.


Regulated Articles Time of Year Examples Life Stage Present Movement Certificate Required?
Soil Year round Eggs, larvae, pupae and/or adult beetles Yes
Plants and plant parts with soil attached Year round Potted plants, turfgrass, sod, ornamental grasses, raked plant debris with soil Eggs, larvae, pupae and/or adult beetles Yes
Plants and above-ground plant parts that are substantially free from soil June 15 – October 15 Grass clippings, pruning waste, and branches with leaves attached Adult beetles Yes
Plants and above-ground plant parts that are substantially free from soil January 1 – June 14 &

October 16 – December 31

Grass clippings, pruning waste, and branches with leaves attached n/a No

Table extracted from 4.0, Movement Requirements for regulated articles leaving the regulated area, CFIA’s Guidance for the movement of plants, plant parts and soil leaving a Japanese beetle regulated area located within BC



Apply for a Movement Certificate

Apply Here

Multi-Use Movement Certificates – See Section 5.4 of CFIA’s Guidance document

You may be eligible for an annual multi-use movement certificate if you live or work in a regulated area, or manage multiple worksites situated within a regulated area, AND need to regularly or frequently transport regulated articles to a location outside of the same regulated area (e.g. an approved deep burial site, treatment site, transfer station, retail location or other site). Please contact the CFIA prior to beginning work, as needs will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Once issued, you will be provided with a list of conditions which must be met on all movements. You will also be expected to maintain a movement control log to record the movement of all regulated articles outside of a regulated area.


Disposal options

A CFIA-issued movement certificate is legally required to move all regulated articles outside of a regulated area. This includes movement to a transfer station or disposal site that is located outside of a regulated area.

It is recommended to use on-site municipal green waste bins when possible. There are two transfer stations accepting regulated articles from the regulated areas:

Burnaby Eco-Centre

4855 Still Creek Drive

Burnaby, BC Canada

Hours of operation: Mon – Sun 8:00 am – 4:00 pm


Vancouver South Transfer Station (Kent Street)

377 West Kent Ave North

Vancouver, BC Canada

Hours of operation: Mon – Fri 5:30 am – 7:00 pm, Sat-Sun 8:00 am – 6:00 pm

Standard tipping fees apply.


* The Burnaby Eco-Centre will only accept green waste from the Burnaby regulated area

** The North Shore Transfer Station does not accept green waste from any Japanese beetle regulated area

NEW False Creek Temporary Transfer Station Closure

The Temporary Transfer Station (TTS), which accepted small amounts of plant material from the False Creek regulated area in previous years, will not open in 2022.

TTS does not have the capacity to handle larger volumes of plant material coming from the expanded regulated area. Instead, all regulated plant material being moved out of
Vancouver’s regulated area must be taken to the Vancouver South Transfer Station at 377 West Kent Ave North.

The Vancouver South Transfer Station is open 7 days per week. For information about hours, fees, location, and payment options, visit the Vancouver Transfer Station website.

City of Vancouver Notice of Closure of the Temporary Transfer Station



One of the enforcement options is to issue an Administrative Monetary Penalty (AMP), which is a Notice of Violation with either a warning or a penalty. Penalties for individuals can range from $500 to $1,300, and from $1,300 to $10,000 for violations committed during the course of business.



Treatment for Japanese beetle is coordinated by the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries (MAFF). The 2022 treatment response will consist of a single larvicide treatment (Acelepryn) of turfgrass on public and private lands. Four  foliar applications of Bacillus thuringiensis subsp. galleriae (Btg), a biological insecticide will be applied to landscapes beds in areas with adult beetles through mid-summer.

The cities will coordinate treatment of public lands (city parks, boulevards, etc.) and treatment of private lands will be coordinated by the cities, licensed applicators and the Ministry.

Costs of this treatment within the Treatment Area are covered by the Province and the project partners. If you have clients residing in the Treatment Area who require treatment of their private land that you will perform for them, please contact the BCLNA.

Acelepryn Q&A

BeetleGONE! (Btg) Q&A

Letter to private landowners – City of Vancouver

Letter to private landowners- City of Burnaby

Letter to private landowners – City of Port Coquitlam


Best Management Practices for Landscapers

Follow these best practices to prevent the spread of Japanese beetle:

  • Leave it local whenever possible!
    • Don’t move soil, plants and green waste outside of the regulated area, unless you have a CFIA-issued Movement Certificate!
    • Follow all movement restrictions when working in the regulated area.
    • Use local municipal green bins to dispose of plant material that cannot be stored on site.
  • Shake it before you take it! If you need to move plant or pruning waste off site, shake it before loading onto your vehicle for disposal.
  • Tarp your load properly to prevent beetles from flying out! Watch this video from the Invasive Species Council of BC (ISCBC) for tips.
  • Thoroughly clean gardening and lawn care equipment regularlyClean soil from all equipment and tools, including lawn mowers, aerating and power raking equipment, especially if you intend to use these items at another location or job site.
  • Check your clothing, equipment and vehicles for hitchhiker beetles! Japanese beetles can even hitch a ride on your work boots!
  • Know before you go! 
    • Understand the legal requirements and get a CFIA-issued movement certificate in advance!
    • Take the most direct route to the nearest approved transfer station.
    • Keep a map of the regulated area in all crew trucks for easy reference.
    • Ensure your stops are within transfer station hours.
    • Consolidate loads when inside the regulated area to reduce the number of trips required.
    • Some fees may apply. Have an accepted payment method ready.


To learn more, please visit:

  • Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA):

English: | French:


Sign Up For The Japanese Beetle Newsletter!

Receive up to date information related to the Japanese Beetle (Popillia Japonica)

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.