June 1, 2020
Week 12 Landscaper COVID-19 Updates and Resources
URGENT! DEADLINE FRIDAY, JUNE 5, 2020
Share Your Experience with the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy
The Department of Finance is seeking information and feedback from businesses of all sizes, labour representatives, not-for-profits and charities on potential changes to the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy, with a view to maximize employment in Canada and encourage growth.
The consultation will close to input next Friday, June 5, 2020.
The Government has provided two ways to participate:
Can I have more than one worker per crew truck?
Physical distancing of 2m is still the required best practice to reduce the spread of COVID-19. WorkSafe BC has released guidelines for returning to (or continuing) safe operations for businesses. The recommended guidelines for worker transportation from WorkSafe BC are:
- Employers should assess the number of workers being transported at any one given time and employ measures to ensure distance between workers is maintained.
- Whenever possible, workers should travel alone in their vehicles in order to practice physical distancing. If that is the case, employers must implement all the necessary safeguards related to working alone or in isolation, to ensure the safety of these workers.
- Measures that may be taken to ensure appropriate distance include having workers sit one to a seat, with riders staggered to allow maximum distance, adjusting the number of workers taken per trip, and the overall number of trips needed to transport workers to a worksite. It may mean using larger vehicles to ensure maximum spacing, or using multiple vehicles.
- If it is not possible to ensure 2 metres of distance between workers in a vehicle through these measures, the employer must consider other control measures, such as PPE where appropriate.
- Employers should have hand washing facilities or sanitizing stations available to workers as they enter and exit the vehicle.
- Employers must ensure that high contact surfaces within the vehicle are routinely cleaned. These include seat belts, headrests, door handles, steering wheels, and hand holds.
Other tips include reminding staff of your company COVID-19 protocols, notifying clients that your company is still practicing 2m distancing, and posting signage in work trucks and offices/shops about proper hygiene, sanitation and distancing.
Thank you for continuing to keep our industry and the public safe!